September 23, 1923
The Village Board borrowed $3,500 for a new Luverne fire truck and appointed Frank J. Meyer as the first Fire Chief.
December 7, 1923
A group of 27 men residing in the Village of Fredonia gathered at the State Bank of Fredonia to discuss the organization of a fire department for the Village of Fredonia. Frank J. Meyer, who had been appointed Chief by the Village Board, acted as chairman and appointed Peter Jung, E.P. Neuens, and Rollin Parks to draft a constitution and set of By Laws.
December 13, 1923
Chief Frank Meyer called a meeting to order where the proposed Constitution and By Laws were read. A motion was made, seconded and vote carried to adopt the Constitution and By Laws. Chief Meyer announced that all those present, by taking the oath of office and paying a one dollar membership fee, would be considered charter members of the Fredonia Fire Department. Those present and the first members of the Fredonia Fire Department were: Frank J. Meyer, John N. Meyer, Mike Gilson, Peter J. Jung, Rollin R. Parks, Harold Janke, Leo Paulus, Walter Klumb, Alois Lesch, Ed P. Neuens, Robert Hetzel, Herbert Wenzel, William J. Neuens, Peter Pierron, Joseph Klein, Art Lauters, Peter Watry, and Ernest Eisentraut.
May 19, 1924
It was decided to conduct a public dance on June 22, 1924 at Hiltgens Hall, music to be furnished by Shorty Hoffman's Orchestra. Price of admission was 75 cents. Report from the dance committee shows 664 people in attendance with a profit totaling $456.
May 27, 1925
The Village board authorized construction of two 36,000 gallon cisterns. One to be located at St. Rose Catholic Church and the other at St. Johns Lutheran Church. The two cisterns would make water available on the east and west sides of the village. Stoney Creek, which bisects the village, was the source for the downtown area.
July 13, 1925
The following resolution was adopted, and the Secretary was instructed to hand a copy of the same to the Honorable Village Board of the Village of Fredonia. Be it resolved by the members of the Fredonia Fire Department that it requests the Village Board to make a twenty-five dollar charge for all calls outside of the Village limits and an additional twenty-five dollars for every hour spent at the fire, and that all such money collected over and above the first twenty-five dollars be turned over to the Fredonia Fire Department to be used for reimbursing members for clothes ruined at such fires.
June 20, 1926
The new Village Hall and Firehouse were officially dedicated. Construction cost was $7,445. The building still houses the Village Hall today.
February 13, 1928
"On a motion duly made, seconded and carried it was decided to have a quarter barrel of near beer at the regular meeting." Prohibition even took its toll on the Fire Department.
September 14, 1933
"Chief Art Gerold reported a fire on August 16, 1933 at 11:00 a.m. on the Ed Tietgen farm, one mile south of the firehouse. The fire originated on the upper story near a window frame and was extinguished with chemicals by the department with a loss to the owner of approximately $50.00. Probable cause of the fire undetermined but perhaps caused by mice."
November 19, 1937
A motion was made that the department petition the Village Board to raise $200.00 in the tax budget for maintenance of the Fire Department for 1938. This was the first account of tax money being used to support the operation of the department. Evidently thet annual dance was not bringing in enough money to sustain operations.
April 1, 1939
A fire at the Fredonia Canned Goods Co. warehouse destroyed the building and contents. The canning company once stood at the end of Wheeler Avenue. The remaining building was purchased by Kenro Corp. and it too burned to the ground in October 1978.
September 8, 1942
The Chief explained that the gas masks which were ordered several months ago could not be delivered for some time according to a letter from the company, but they offered to make reasonably prompt shipment on a smaller mask without a speaking device. Mr. Gilson stated that he was going to Milwaukee in a day or two to see the War Production Board and would endeavor at that time to get a higher priority rating to hurry shipment.
March 9, 1944
A fire broke out at Gerold's Place, a well known dance hall and tavern. The fire totally destroyed two halls, the tavern and residence of past Chief Art Gerold.